Friday, April 07, 2006

Friday rolls around again

It's been raining quite a bit this week, and the weather's turned chilly again. Well, that is to say it's up to about 20C in the daytime, but by mid-afternoon I have to close the windows and put on a fleece, so that's pretty chilly for Cyprus in April. I hope it warms up a little next week when the island will probably have an influx of families from the UK, since it will be the first week of the British Easter break. I expect the Cyprus schools will start their break a week later since Greek Easter is April 23rd this year, a week after Western Easter.

With the rain, I haven't been able to do any weeding this week. Instead I've started on a long-overdue upgrade of my home education web-site. I'm shocked to find it's nearly three years since I made any changes at all. I'm simplifying it - removing the rather untidy side-bars and the 1990s style clip-art, doing a few necessary updates, and checking as many links as I can, many of which are now out of date. Having checked the stats, I see that most people find individual pages via Google rather than clicking random links, and since Geocities has changed its style of advert, the side-bars just looked a mess. There's still a long way to go, but in the immortal words of Magnus Magnusson, I've started, so I'll finish.

Tim has also set up a new web-site for his church, St Helena's, after discussion with the PCC. Just one page so far, but a good start. It's about time churches in Cyprus started advertising on the web - in some ways we're still a long way behind the rest of Europe.

We're still waiting for exchange of contracts on our UK house. It's unbelievable how long it's taking. Our buyer is meeting her solicitor on Tuesday, so we're hoping and praying that a date will be fixed, and not delayed by the Easter holidays (both Good Friday and Easter Monday are public holidays in the UK, and many firms don't work Easter Tuesday either). We would really like to move house here as soon as possible. We had hoped for the last week of April or (at latest) first week of May.

1 comment:

mreddie said...

The selling in U.K. and the buying in Cyprus sounds as enjoyable as having a painful tooth pulled just a little bit a day, with no pain killers, for a long time. The suspense is even starting to get to me, so I can only imagine what it is doing to you folks. :) ec