Saturday, January 27, 2007

Yet another week

Isn't it odd how January usually vanishes so rapidly? It seems like Christmas was only a few days ago, yet we're nearly in February already.

It's been a quiet week, with Richard away. Not that he's had a quiet time - he 's had a steady round of meetings, first in Malta and now in the UK. He usually tries to pack about a month's worth of work into a week away - maybe that's where my January went. He gets back early Monday morning, and will then probably try to catch up with the week he's missed here...

Daniel has also been very busy - there's a new post on his blog giving an outline of three days which explain why he's so often tired. And Tim has been working hard on his degree course, preparing for three more assignments that are due in a fortnight. He mostly works in the mornings, though he does extra reading too.

But I'm not entirely sure what I've been doing. Oh, the usual housework stuff, going to the PO Box, emailing, various other things online, sorting paperwork, doing laundry, cooking, helping and mothers-and-toddlers a couple of mornings, hosting house group one evening.... It doesn't seem like enough to fill up a week, yet I rarely seem to have much free time. Tim and I haven't switched on the television at all this week, and I've only read two books (in evenings only). I have some knitting which I've started, and a tapestry picture I began work on about three years ago, but haven't picked either of those up this week, either.

It hasn't helped that I've been fighting the flu, I suppose. It's been going around, and I thought I was starting it on Tuesday, but Vitamin C in megadoses and some paracetamol seemed to ward it off, and I was fine by the evening. On Friday I woke up with a streaming cold, which again I fought off with even more megadoses of Vitamin C, but forgot to take any at lunchtime and by the evening I felt achey and brain-foggy and even a little shivery. By the time I realised I wasn't well, it was only half an hour before the house group arrived, and since we have a meal together before the discussion part, it was too late to cancel. I didn't breathe over anyone, and didn't feel quite 'with it' - they prayed for my health among other things, and I went to bed about 9.45 with some hot lemon and honey (the real thing, of course, not the horrible powders).

I woke this morning feeling blocked up and headachey again, so had yet more Vitamin C, and sprinkled a few drops of Olbas Oil on a tissue. Smells awful, but works wonderfully and eased the congestion. Oh, and I took some echinacea and goldenseal, which is vile but remarkably effective. By mid-morning I felt fine again. So I don't know if I really have fought off the flu, or whether it will fight back overnight, or whether I was just imagining it...

No comments: