Saturday, November 17, 2007

Christmas Fairs in Larnaka

Today we had the first signs that Christmas isn't far away. St Helena's Church, where Tim is the pianist, held its Christmas Fair this afternoon, starting at two o'clock. Cakes, second-hand books, raffles, white elephant, and a Christmas stall, amongst others.

I headed straight for the book stall, as usual, and bought (ahem) eight books, for the grand price of £2. I'm not entirely sure where we're going to put them, but we've been saying we need new bookcases....

Narrow Gate, the youth band which Tim plays in, were on duty for most of the afternoon doing contemporary Christian music outside, where people sat, drinking tea or eating cake. All very pleasant, and it was nice to catch up with a few people we hadn't seen for a long time.

Over the road, at Larnaka Community Church (where I usually go on a Sunday) there was a Christmas card and book fair run by CLC (Nicosia) starting at three o'clock. They do this annually, and it usually attracts quite a crowd. There weren't many people there when I arrived just after it opened, so I was able to browse at my leisure. I even bought some Christmas cards.

I suppose it is only just over five weeks until Christmas. Tomorrow afternoon Tim will be holding the first rehearsal of the carol choir he will be pulling together for the 'Lessons and carols' service on December 23rd.

No comments: