Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday in Cyprus

Sunday is still, mostly, a peaceful kind of day in Cyprus. To be sure, we hear church bells ringing fairly early, but they don't go on for too long. We're not close enough to one of the Greek Orthodox Churches to find it disturbing, and we don't hear the services being broadcast as people do who live closer.

Shops are mostly closed - unlike the UK these days - on a Sunday. The bakeries, of course, are open from early to late 363 days of the year (the exceptions being Christmas Day and Greek Easter). There are little periptero stores - sort of like convenience stores combined with newsagents - which are open for a few hours on a Sunday. And, I'm sure, many of the tourist shops are open around the sea-front. But the supermarkets and fruit stores are closed; nobody goes to school; most people have a day off work. The traffic noises are minimal, and the local people relax, hanging out together peacefully.

Richard went to King Malu again this morning. He did wonder if I would like to go down to the marina to meet him for lunch, but after having a migrainey headache yesterday, I thought it best not to go out in the sun. And it's very bright indeed today. I didn't go to any church service, either. Tonight some friends will be here for a light meal; kind of a splinter group from the renegade cell group we now belong to. So I've been pottering: I swept and mopped, and emptied the bins. I've made two loaves of bread in the breadmaker, so far, and am thawing some chicken soup I evidently made last winter, to re-heat. I've made a dip to go with veggies, and will sort out some fruit in a while, and set the table for ten.

I've also managed to sort through the digital photos from September, and am currently uploading them to Kodak Gallery. There must have been some kind of glitch that stopped me doing it on Friday; the site is working fine today. It takes a LONG time to upload forty photos at two or three megabytes each, but I leave the site open in another tab and can continue doing other things at the same time. I just have to make sure I don't accidentally close the tab, and hope that the browser doesn't crash...

1 comment:

Sheila said...

We woke up yesterday (Sunday) morning at 7:00 a.m. to the sound of the neighbours across the street cutting tile. They're apparently doing the work themselves, as we only hear and see them working on the weekends and sometimes very early or very late during the week...