Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve

Christmas on Wednesday seems ideal. On Sunday, I went to a carol service at LCC which Tim was organising and leading. It only lasted an hour, so we were home in time for me to ice and decorate the Christmas cake before lunch. I didn't feel inspired to do anything fancy, so this is what it looks like:


I didn't do anything much in the afternoon, other than updating another local church website, which I run, and also uploading our annual newsletter to our family website.

I designated Monday for cleaning the house. The usual dusting and mopping that I try to do weekly, plus some window-cleaning which was long overdue. I cleaned upstairs and changed our sheets too, something I usually do on Wednesdays. I had vaguely thought I might get everything done in two or three hours in the morning; in the event it took most of the day, alternating with various other things I wanted to do. Tim made some peppermint creams in the afternoon, and in the evening he assisted in the production of another 40+ mince pies.

Richard and I also went to the fruitaria on Monday, to buy large quantities of potatoes and carrots and broccoli and various other things we're going to need on Christmas Day.

And then, really, there wasn't much left to do.

This morning we went to Metro to pick up the turkey we had ordered; it turned out to be rather smaller than we need to feed twelve people, but happily there were some 'spare' turkeys, so we bought one of those too. And a few other items, but I didn't buy up half the supermarket, as some people seem to wish to do when it's going to be shut for - shock horror! - two whole days.

So Tim has now taken over in the kitchen. The first turkey is cooked and carved, ready for re-heating tomorrow. The second one is currently in the oven, with the smell driving the cats wild. I took the opportunity of putting about 100 photos in albums, when I realised that although I ordered some in October, I had done nothing with them. They date back to December last year, so it was quite a task. But that's now done.

I then found all the gifts we had been given by my siblings when we visited the UK in October, plus a few that have arrived in the post, and put them under the tree:


Now it's 5.15pm and the last thing on my pre-Christmas to-do list is to write this blog post. We're having our favourite local fast-food tonight ('Souvlaki Express') since the oven is fully occupied, then going to a carol service at the Greek Evangelical Church, in which Tim will be singing.

So let me take this opportunity to wish anyone who reads this a very happy, peaceful and blessed Christmas.



No comments: