Sunday, November 15, 2009

Feeling a little chilly in Cyprus

Usually we start to feel cold at the end of the first week of November, so we're doing well this year. This morning, for the first time in many months, I went down to the kitchen and felt chilly. Not freezing cold, but even in my warm, full-length dressing gown, I felt a slight shiver when I opened the kitchen window and the study door, to let in some fresh air and to allow the cats to get in and out. It was only 6.30 - I seem to wake at that time even if Sophia doesn't wake me - but the sun was up, so I was surprised that I felt cold.

An hour or so later I took Richard his coffee and fresh orange juice, and mentioned that it was cold. 'Is that good or bad?' he asked, from the depths of our warm bed. I thought for a moment. 'Good,' I said. I do prefer chilliness to excessive heat, after all. The day felt fresh, and one can always put on more layers.

So after I had my shower, I put on a fleece. However, another hour later when I was preparing to go outside, to walk to a church service, I realised that it was considerably warmer. So I shed the fleece, and was comfortable walking in my tee-shirt and cotton trousers. Socks and trainers rather than sandals, long trousers rather than shorts... and also a sunhat and some sunglasses. And I walked in the shade, as much as I could.

It was warmer still by the time I came home again. It wasn't until about 5pm that I started feeling a little chilly again. Time to close the windows, pull the curtains, and find that fleece once more.

No comments: