Monday, July 15, 2013

Going to the beach in Cyprus

We have lived in Cyprus for nearly sixteen years now. The allure of the beach - never all that strong - seems less each year. None of us are particularly good at swimming, and we're a long way beyond the sandcastle stage!

Yet it's good to get out of the house, and to do at least a few strokes of exercise - something which I struggle to do at this time of year, when even at 6.00am it's too hot for me to go for a brisk walk. I manage my forays to the fruit shop, mostly in the shade, but that's about 200 metres away, if that.

During July and August our small weekly cell group gets together at the beach, so the children can play, and we can hang out where it's a little cooler than our friends' home. We didn't do that the first week of July, but last week we decided we would.  While we're hearing of people in the UK 'roasting' at temperatures of 28 or so, we enjoyed the relatively cool 28C or so of the beach in the evening:


It's hard to swim more than a few metres with children clamouring to play and talk, but it was good to get into the sea, which was slightly warmer than the temperature at which I take my showers at this time of year. 

It was surprisingly windy. The white horses don't show all that well in this photo, but they were certainly there. There were a few sailing boats out too, in the distance.


As I came out of the water, I was surprised at how cold I felt. It was a pleasant feeling, after being warm for so long. I wrapped myself in a towel and we watched a few planes landing: 


The final approach for the airport is over the sea - but although this was a bit disturbing when we first saw it, all those years ago, we're quite used to it now. It would seem strange to go to the beach and NOT see planes nearby!

We ate our picnic, and although everyone else warmed up, I still felt chilly.  I wrapped myself in another towel, and was surprised that my fingers felt numb. I thought that perhaps I had been sitting on them.  By about 8.00pm my teeth started to chatter... and someone commented that my lips were starting to look blue. So we packed up and came home, and I didn't really feel warm again until I had taken a hot shower (warmer than the sea for once!) and had a hot drink.  

Tim thinks my circulation must be not as good as it used to be. A peril of increasing age, I suppose. 

We're planning to make brief forays to the beach a few times per week just to have a quick swim, for the next couple of months, but will usually be home in time to eat.  But perhaps next time we stay out until 8pm, I'll take a fleece with me...

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

I'm glad you were able to get cool although perhaps a little too cold. It has been hotter than the hinges on hell's door here this week with "feels like" temperatures well into the 40s.