For most of last week I had an unpleasant mouth ulcer, and a slight cold (a bit sniffly, the occasional sneeze, but nothing worse). Both requiring Vitamin C but as neither seemed serious I only took 1g per day (doubling my regular daily amount) and assumed they would get better.
After lunch today, I discovered I had a sore throat. Not the tickly kind that usually precedes a cold, but the deeper sort, the kind that makes it painful to swallow, and feels almost like a bruise. Ugh. I don't feel ill, so I don't think it's the flu.
I've taken 3g Vitamin C so far today (two doses in powdered form, stirred into juice) and will take one more before I go to bed, in some hot lemon and honey. I picked a couple of lemons earlier in preparation. For some reason, this drink is wonderfully soothing when I have any kind of sore throat, but doesn't appeal at all at other times. (Juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 good tablespoon of honey, 1g vitamin C, all stirred into some freshly boiled water in a mug).
I even took some of that dreadful tasting (but effective) Echinacea and Goldenseal. Since it's chilly still I shall get into bed with a hot water bottle in about half an hour, and hope to sleep.
What puzzles me is where I can have caught this from. Nobody else in the family has a cold. I don't think anyone at our house group on Friday did, either. I haven't seen many other people in the last few days, other than church yesterday, but that's too recent.