Thursday, November 05, 2009

Autumn leaves in Cyprus?

I wrote a few years ago about the way that trees seem to be rather confused in Cyprus, with no clear seasonal patterns.

But now it's Autumn - or as near as we ever get to Autumn in Cyprus - I thought I'd watch out to see if I could find any pretty colours in leaves. There were certainly some soggy looking leaves on the ground this week, but that's because we've had so much rain and wind. It's nothing like the quantity of fallen leaves in - for instance - the UK during October.

As I walked to the Froutaria I did spot a hint of yellow in this plant:


And of course there are fruit in the citrus trees, slowly ripening, which provide some interesting colour:


I don't know what this plant is, but it too had a hint of yellow and red, and was probably the most traditionally autumnal one I found:

Overall, though, the trees and other plants are determinedly green. Not just the evergreens but the deciduous ones too.

No comments: