Sunday, May 20, 2007

Plant update: bedding plants, figs, oranges

I was a bit worried about our patio plants during the huge storm and tornado the week before last, particularly when we had some hail. But they seem to have survived pretty well on the whole, the only (surprising) casualty being an antirrhinum (snapdragon) which was doing extremely well. It was in a planter with two petunias that looked a bit sad; we added in two geraniums about a month ago.

The petunias and geraniums seem to be doing very well, but I can only imagine that the antirrhinum must have got waterlogged, as it looks very dead now:


I'll leave it a bit longer just in case it revives, but I don't hold out much hope.

The citrus trees (bought last summer) were beginning to produce tiny fruit, rather to my surprise, and we wondered if we should remove them as they're such new trees... however the hail did that effectively, and we're left now with just one minute orange. We'll wait and see if it survives. I doubt it, but if it does I don't suppose that will harm the tree:


I was also very surprised to see that the new fig tree, bought only a month ago, has already produced a few tiny fruit. At least, that's what they look like though I'm not entirely sure. I didn't notice any flowers, and it seems a bit odd that the fruit would sprout out like this between branches:


I'm relieved to see that our two bigger plants bought recently also seem to be thriving - the euonymus and the unknown plant:


Of the plants we planted out last summer, one of the most successful is the cactus which a friend transplanted into two pots. Here's what the long one looks like now:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

They sure look like figs to me!!
Your BIG plants must look wonderful outside your house.

Betty G

Anonymous said...

the 'flower' of the fig tree is the fig itself, hence the little hole in the centre through which they get pollinated

PhD